The Peary Polar Expedition Medal (1908) was established by Act of Congress (Private Law 166, 78th Congress) on January 28, 1944.
The Peary Polar Expedition Medal (1908) was awarded to certain members of the Peary Polar Expedition of 1908-1909 to commemorate their service in the field of science and polar exploration by aiding in the discovery of the North Pole by Admiral Robert E. Peary.
ORDER OF PRECEDENCE
The Peary Polar Expedition Medal (1908) was worn after the Sampson Medal and before the NC-4 Medal.
No devices were authorized for this medal.
The Peary Polar Expedition Medal (1908) was designed by John R. Sinnock, Chief Engraver of the Philadelphia Mint.
The following individuals received the Peary Polar Expedition Medal (1908) (an asterisk denotes a posthumous award):
In the center of a bronze gilt medallion one and a half inches in diameter, there is a full-face representation of Admiral Peary in Arctic clothing holding the end of a ski pole in his right hand. Below the figure of Peary are the words PEARY POLAR / EXPEDITION / 1908-09 (in three lines). Surrounding all are the points of a compass rose with the northern point at top center replaced by a fleur-de-lis.
In the center of a silver medallion one and a quarter inches in diameter, the following inscription (in eight lines): PRESENTED IN THE NAME OF CONGRESS / IN RECOGNITION OF HIS EFFORTS / AND SERVICES AS A MEMBER OF THE / PEARY POLAR EXPEDITION OF 1908-09 / IN THE FIELD OF SCIENCE AND FOR / THE CAUSE OF POLAR EXPLORATION / BY AIDING IN THE DISCOVERY OF / THE NORTH POLE BY ADMIRAL PEARY. Above this inscription is an American flag with an eskimo dog to each side. Below the inscription is a blank space for the recipient's name, and at the very bottom there is a pair of snow shoes.
The ribbon is white with an ice-blue quarter inch wide stripe toward each edge. The colors of the ribbon were selected to represent the colors of the Polar region.